Sedation Dentistry: Is it Possible to Relax?
Sedation dentistry is for individuals who experience anxiety when it is time to go to the dentist. Dental anxiety is a serious issue that can prevent some people from getting the treatment they need. The result is typically dental problems that progress until they reach a point when it is impossible to ignore them. It can take excruciating pain and discomfort to get people with dental phobias to visit the dentist, which is why sedation dentistry is worth considering.
How sedation dentistry helps you to relax
Sedation dentistry uses medication to help keep patients relaxed during their treatment. The different levels of sedatives used in dentistry include the following:
- Minimal sedation: Patients are conscious but relaxed when these medications are administered
- Moderate sedation: These drugs render the patient partially unconscious and they typically do not remember what went on during their treatment
- Deep sedation: Patients drift in and out of consciousness when under the influence of these drugs, but they can be awakened without the use of any drugs
- General anesthesia: Patients are fully unconscious when these drugs are administered and medication might be required to wake them back up. General anesthetics are usually used as a last resort
The common types of sedatives often used in sedation dentistry are:
- Inhaled sedatives: This is a minimal type of sedation and it often involves the use of nitrous oxide, commonly known as laughing gas. It is an effective way to combat dental phobias and it can be safely used on adults and children. The medication is delivered through a mask that is positioned over the patient's nose. Inhaling the gas puts the patient in a relaxed state. It only takes a few minutes for the gas to take effect and it wears off just as fast.
- Oral sedatives: Oral sedatives can be used for minimal and moderate levels of sedation. Medication like Halcion can be used to keep people with dental anxiety relaxed prior to their appointment. These sedatives make the patient relaxed and drowsy, but they should be able to stay awake. Those who have to use such sedatives will need to arrange for transportation to and from the clinic.
- IV sedative: IVs are used when a patient requires moderate levels of sedation. These medications take effect within a few minutes, allowing the dentist to get right to work.
- Deep sedation and general anesthetics: These drugs make the patient barely conscious or completely unconscious. Such sedatives might be recommended when surgical treatments are needed or the dentist needs to do a lot of work.
Benefits of sedation dentistry
Dental sedatives are for anyone terrified of going to the dentist. These medications can also help with those who are too restless to sit still in a dental chair for a prolonged period of time. The sedatives that are used are safe for both adults and children. They allow people to get the treatments they need when they need them.
Explore sedation dentistry with us
Call or visit our Vista clinic to learn more about sedation dentistry and how to overcome any existing dental phobias.
Request an appointment here: https://www.ultimatesmiles.com or call North County Cosmetic and Implant Dentistry at (760) 940-2273 for an appointment in our Vista office.
Check out what others are saying about our dental services on Yelp: Sedation Dentist in Vista, CA.
We understand that visiting the dentist can be a stressful experience for some patients, which is why North County Cosmetic and Implant Dentistry offers sedation dentistry to help alleviate anxiety and promote relaxation during procedures. Our experienced team utilizes safe and effective methods of sedation to ensure that you receive the most comfortable and stress-free…
Many people have intravenous or IV sedation for their dental procedures. The common reason for being under this type of sedation is dental anxiety. Requesting a form of sedation dentistry will prevent fear and pain from taking over. If you want to know more about IV sedation, here are some FAQs and the answers to…
Many people are fearful of IV sedation dentistry. Sedation dentistry is a relatively new procedure that has gained popularity in the last few years. It is designed for people who are nervous about having dental work done or for those who have medical conditions which make it difficult to handle pain. IV sedation is often…
Going to the dentist can be particularly tough if you have dental anxiety, a low pain tolerance, severe tooth sensitivity, or a mobility condition. Many individuals who face these difficulties or who have a general aversion to going to the dentist can choose IV sedation dentistry for their sessions. Continue reading to learn more about…